Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What I Can't Stop Listening To: April 2009

now playing: Concrete Blonde - The Sky is a Poisonous Garden

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone who helped spread the word of the events at the TLA. I'll be keeping an eye on the situation, but as I said, I don't really think anything is going to come of this, unfortunately. Philadelphia police officers have been getting away with things like this for years. To speak of less somber things, the end of the month brings us What I Can't Stop Listening To once again. If you missed it last month, I am still providing a direct download of the songs mentioned in this article. Disclaimer: I have no vested interest, monetary or otherwise, in providing these links outside of exposing the readers of this blog to new music. I have acquired everything I provide legally and encourage others to do the same. With that said, here are the five songs I can't stop listening to for April 2009.

05) Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year


I've already written about Swoon earlier in the month, so I won't have much to say for this track. I will say that the chorus of this song is one that always finds its way back into my head no matter what I'm doing. I also enjoy the way the track slows down and blends into the style of the following track, "The Royal We", and it's for that reason that it feels almost wrong not to include it as well. Alas, you only get one from me. You know how that could be solved? Go out and buy Swoon at Amazon or iTunes today.


04) Guns N' Roses - Catcher in the Rye


To be honest, I doubt I'll ever understand anyone who says they dislike Chinese Democracy because it sounds too unlike Guns N' Roses' previous work. It's been 15 years in the making; of course it's not going to sound the same. What it does sound like is good, solid music that too many people are going to overlook for one reason or another. Let this power ballad help change your mind. The guitar is still incredibly strong without Slash, and the rest of the band is just as powerful; even, hard as it may be to believe, Axl himself, who still sounds as he did in GnR's heyday. If you don't have Chinese Democracy already, pick it up on Amazon or iTunes.


03) Styx - Queen of Spades


Putting this song in the article is pretty much pure self-indulgence. Styx manages to hit almost every single one of the thematic elements I love in songs: Lethal women, gambling, spiders, concept albums, power ballads, and guitar solos. I am a simple man with simple pleasures in my music. Pick up Pieces of Eight (featuring this, "Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)", and "Renegade", among others) on Amazon or iTunes. And don't forget to get your tickets to the Can't Stop Rockin' tour, featuring Styx, REO Speedwagon, and .38 Special.


02) My Chemical Romance - Famous Last Words


Back when I was shakily learning how to drive, I relied on music to help calm me down. Jack Off Jill's Clear Hearts Grey Flowers shared rotation with The Black Parade, but it was singing along with Gerard Way that finally got me comfortable behind the wheel. And yes, My Chemical Romance might get a lot of flak from... well, everyone, but this album is surprisingly strong as a concept album. I disagree with Way deciding to bleach his hair for the tour, but they can't all be perfect. If you feel like hunting down the special edition, Amazon can hook you up; otherwise, the CD alone can be found on Amazon and iTunes.


01) Concrete Blonde - Probably Will


This song off 1994's Still in Hollywood is strange for Concrete Blonde. The driving bass lines and aggression that initially drew me to the band are gone; instead, this song is stripped down to three-chord guitar, minimal drums, and vocals. It may seem strange that a song like that would be considered an anthem of rebellion, but the line "they will only make us stronger if they try to keep us still" proves that rebellion can have any kind of backing band as long as the lyrics are strong. Still in Hollywood also features live tracks, alternate takes of songs, and covers of Jimi Hendrix, Nick Cave, and others. Their cover of Hendrix's "Little Wing" is superb. You can pick up this album on Amazon or iTunes.


You can download all five of these songs here (36MB).

May is going to start with a bang, as I'll be attending the Bamboozle in the Meadowlands way up in north Jersey. We had little luck with the Ghost Hounds' Vintage Trouble this month, but maybe we'll see it in May. Finnish power metal band Stratovarius also has Polaris coming out in the middle of the month, but you won't have to wait that long for a review. Until next time, keep your eyes on the skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment