Monday, April 27, 2009

Police Brutality at the TLA

I promise not to use this blog as a soapbox often, but I just found out about something reprehensible that happened at the Theatre of the Living Arts in Philadelphia last night. The Bamboozle Road Show, featuring We the Kings, Forever the Sickest Kids, the Cab, mercymercedes, and Valencia, was just finishing up last night when several police officers showed up and attacked members of the bands. Brendan Walter of Valencia writes:
Tonight at the Bamboozle Road Show I witnessed the worst case of police brutality I’ve ever seen. I’m not sure of the exact story of what happened, all I know is that I walked downstairs and was ready to leave the venue only to see Chris V being pushed back into the venue (from the alley) by 3 cops with billy clubs. They were screaming and pushing him to the ground, threw him down onto a glass bottle that he hit his head on, split it open. He was bleeding everywhere and they still continued to beat him with clubs. They would not stop, even when he was compliant. Everyone was screaming for them to stop, I just could not stop yelling, I was so angry. I wanted so bad to have us all go over and pull them off of him, but no one could or we’d be next. Finally they stopped and dragged him outside after a pint of blood left his head and was all over the stage of the TLA. After everything was calmed down a bit, I saw my good friend Ian Planet being shoved inside, slammed into a brick wall, his cell phone thrown across the room and his face shoved onto the concrete floor all because he wanted to go outside and finish his job. The same happened to T-Fair right out back as well.
In a thread on the AbsolutePunk.net forums, a member of mercymercedes mentions receiving several tickets and being aggressively shoved against a car. MySpace Video has footage of the interior of the club during the incident, found here (warning: language and blood). Additionally, two people present outside have posted YouTube videos hosted here and here (with language warnings on both).

I'm not certain if anything can be done about this now (I have my doubts that the officers involved will face any retribution), but I thought it best to spread the word.

This post was compiled with help from BuzzNet.

No comments:

Post a Comment