Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Album Review: Neverender - Night III

now playing: Coheed and Cambria - The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut (Live at Neverender)

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume I: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness brings us into the world of the Writing Writer, who is responsible for penning the story we've been following so far in the previous two albums. (His world is possibly better known as our world.) The Writer is slowly going insane, tormented by visions of casting his ex-girlfriend into the ground, burying her alive. His visions continue in the form of Ten Speed, a demonic manifestation of a bicycle the Writer had when he was a child. Ten Speed brings the Writer to the realization that he's placed his ex, Erica Court, into the story as Ambellina. The only way to end the visions and regain his sanity, Ten Speed says, is to kill off Ambellina. Though the Writer initially resists, after realizing that he is the one in control of the story and he is more than able to kill whomever he wants, resolves to listen to Ten Speed's words and go through with killing the manifestation of Erica Court. Meanwhile, in the Keywork, Claudio Kilgannon begins begging to God, asking what he did to deserve this and just how he's supposed to accept his destiny. He and the Writer both come to the realization that they must end the Keywork to end the suffering, and as Claudio approaches the House Atlantic, the Writer approaches the Willing Well, a full-length mirror that serves as a portal between the two worlds. The Writer joins our battle, already in progress, and assaults Ambellina. Claudio attempts to use his abilities as the Crowing to stop the Writer, but is unable. It's pretty impossible to kill God, after all. The Writer explains his motivations to Claudio, and the album draws to a close with one final cut. Told you it gets confusing. Cobalt and Calcium, as always, has more on the story.

Neverender - Night III begins the parts of the Amory Wars story I enjoy most. My first exposure to Coheed and Cambria was "Welcome Home", appearing on Rock Band. It had been so long since I'd heard accessible modern rock with guitar work like that; I was immediately hooked. (In fact, I think that song is the reason I like prog as much as I do now.) Even if I initially thought that Coheed got royalties based on the number of words in the title, I picked up Good Apollo I anyway and never looked back. I didn't know about the storyline at the time; I just had a bunch of really great songs that didn't leave rotation on my iPod for months. Listening to the album performed live brings more nostalgic feelings, which are always welcome. And since I am so familiar with the studio album, the imperfections that add flavor to the performance are that much more noticeable. This is not necessarily a bad thing! I like getting to hear the band's mistakes. I'm still not entirely sure what happened in "The Lying Lies & Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court" that caused Claudio to start early and miss a couple lines, but there's a very human element there that you just won't get in a studio.

Something else you won't get in the studio is the technical proficiency displayed in the 18-minute jam of the final song of the night, "The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut". Unless you're some sort of combination of Jethro Tull and Peter Frampton, you won't be able to get away with dueling talkbox and theremin solos from Claudio Sanchez, guitarist Travis Stever, and a guest keyboard player on a studio album. And it would take some sort of love child of Keith Moon and Neil Peart to justify former Dillinger Escape Plan drummer Chris Pennie's blistering seven-minute drum solo. Overall, Good Apollo I is even technically amazing live. If IKSSE:3 is where the band started to hit their stride, Good Apollo I is a near perfection of their sound. I still enjoy Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume II: No World For Tomorrow better, but that's a review for tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment