Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What I Can't Stop Listening To: March 2009

now playing: Coheed & Cambria - Feathers (Glitch Mob Remix)

Now that this blog is finally starting to pick up steam, I've decided to include a new offering in this monthly article. It's an offering that requires its very own disclaimer, no less! I've decided to start providing a direct download of the songs mentioned in this article, to be found at the end of the article. Disclaimer: I have no vested interest, monetary or otherwise, in providing these links outside of exposing the readers of this blog to new music. I have acquired everything I provide legally and encourage others to do the same. With that said, here are the five songs I can't stop listening to for March 2009.

05) Coheed & Cambria - No World For Tomorrow (Live at Neverender)


When I first heard about Coheed's four-night epic telling of their story, "No World for Tomorrow" was the song I was most looking forward to hearing. Long-time readers should know I'm a sucker for crowd callback sections, and with the first line of the chorus as "Raise your hands high!", well. I might be a pretty bad Coheed fan, since I've only really gotten into their later stuff, but good or bad doesn't matter when you can get together with 14,999 other fans and, simply put, rock the hell out. I just wish I could have been one of the lucky few to see it live. But now that the CD/DVD set is out, I can be (sort of), and so can you. Pick up Neverender: Children of the Fence Edition on Amazon or just go for the DVD set if you don't feel like dropping $100.


04) Falconer - Lord of the Blacksmiths


I wrote a little about this song in my 100-Word Review of the album, but not as much as I would have liked. This song starts with a meaty riff that turns into high-speed guitar work, adds a fantastic bass hook in the chorus, and uses the double bass drums to accentuate the story of Hephaestus, godly armorer and lord of the blacksmiths. "But wait!" I hear you say. "That's not enough!" All right, how about a hammer striking an anvil in the last chorus? Does that drive the point home? I hate using this word because the internet has ruined its original meaning, but this song is positively epic. Enjoy it with me, won't you? Then check out Falconer's debut album on iTunes or Amazon.


03) Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker


I pose to you a question, dear readers. Pat Benatar: Great female singer of the 80s or greatest female singer of the 80s? There is a right answer, and it is of course the latter. Some might say "Love is a Battlefield" or possibly even "Hell is for Children" is her best song, but to those people, I say YOU'RE THE RIGHT KIND OF SINNER TO RELEASE MY INNER FANTASY! THE INVINCIBLE WINNER AND YOU KNOW THAT YOU WERE BORN TO PLEASE! As it should be obvious at this point that I have very little of substance to say about this song, let's just do the Amazon and iTunes plugs for In the Heat of the Night and move on, shall we?


02) van Canto - Fear of the Dark


With van Canto, I have possibly too much to say. Let's start with the obvious. Yes, this is a cover of Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark" as it first appeared on the 1992 album of the same name. What makes it special? van Canto is a band whose lineup comprises five vocalists and a drummer; that is to say, it's a cappella metal. I know, I barely thought it was possible, too, but these guys have filled a very selective niche very well. They have a few covers like this, including Metallica's "Battery" and "Wishmaster" by Nightwish, but most of their material is original. You can hear covers of Manowar, Blind Guardian, and Deep Purple alongside their original songs on Hero, available as an import on Amazon.


01) That 1 Guy - Buttmachine

This song by That 1 Guy apparently appeared on Weeds recently, but I don't watch that show, so I wouldn't know. I do know that he played a club in Boston recently and I am kicking myself for having missed it. That 1 Guy is a one-man band featuring Mike Silverman as That 1 Guy playing an enigmatic instrument known only as The Magic Pipe. Silverman constructs his songs as bizarrely as his instrument, and it works; "Buttmachine" is largely nonsensical, but still the greatest anthem to the gluteus since Trace Adkins' "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk". His albums follow the same pattern: Songs in the Key of Beotch is one of the best titles I've heard, but The Moon is Disgusting is where you'll be able to find "Buttmachine" and ten other songs. Pick it up on Amazon or iTunes.


You can download all five of these songs here (39MB). I'd apologize for sendspace, but it's my only means right now. I'll be sure to maintain the link if it goes down.

That's all for March. April will bring reviews of Coheed's Neverender and The Ghost Hounds' Vintage Trouble; if we're lucky, we'll also see Drist's The Science of Misuse. Until next time, keep your eyes on the skies.

1 comment:

  1. BUTTMACHINE

    BUTT
    MA
    CHINE

    I would like to posit that no greater tribute to the posterior has been penned for far longer, perhaps dating to "Baby Got Back." But that's me.

    ReplyDelete