Tuesday, March 17, 2009

100-Word Reviews: Voxtrot

now playing: Styx - Renegade

In an effort to get me off my ass and start posting some more, I'm pleased to announce a new feature of Ombrophilia: 100-Word Reviews. I hope to post a couple of these each week. Albums reviewed in this fashion will be those that I enjoy, but they're a bit too far in the "old news" file to devote a full review to. (Cut me some slack; I'm still working on climbing to the cusp of new music.) But anyway. The first 100-Word Review coming at you is Austin, TX indie band Voxtrot's 2007 self-titled album.


A lot of the songs on this album are cute, and that is really the best word for it. The album is infectiously poppy ("Stephen") while retaining the indie aesthetic ("Every Day"). A sprinkling of piano, tom-heavy drumbeats, and strong bass lines blend with electronic sound effects and skillfully simplistic guitar to create a solid bunch of songs that should honestly be more popular than they are. It’s like the Sounds and the Sterns got together and had a kid that only got the best genes. Voxtrot is playing two reunion shows at SXSW this week if you're interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment