Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What I Can't Stop Listening To: January 2009

now playing: 3OH!3 - Holler 'Til You Pass Out


Before I start with this post, I have a little bit of bad news. The Ghost Hounds, previously mentioned in this post, have had their debut album pushed back from February to late April. I'm not sure what the issue is, but as long as their album is still coming out, I'm happy. Now, without further ado: Here are the songs I can't stop listening to for January 2009.

05) 3OH!3 - Don't Trust Me


A song like this is hard to ignore. From Boulder, CO comes dance-rap group 3OH!3 and their biggest hit so far from this album, "Don't Trust Me". A friend of mine started typing the lyrics at me and I just had to hear it. I wasn't disappointed. Lyrics like "tell your boyfriend / if he says he's got beef / that I'm a vegetarian and I ain't fuckin' scared of him" and "shush girl / shut your lips / do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips" are backed by positively infectious electronic beats and synth, to say nothing of how addictive the chorus is. You can hear "Don't Trust Me" and other songs on 3OH!3's MySpace.


04) Stolen Babies - Filistata


Personally, I don't think there are enough songs about genera of spiders. Enter Stolen Babies, a dark cabaret group from California. With bands like Jack Off Jill and Daisy Chainsaw among my favorite disbanded groups, it's very refreshing to hear the bass lines and combined screaming and singing that I love so very very much again. I have strong hopes for Stolen Babies. I'd hate to see them die before their time. You can check out songs off There Be Squabbles Ahead at Stolen Babies' MySpace.


03) Sturm Und Drang - Heaven (Is Not Here)


Confession time: I love power ballads. I think they are the epitome of modern rock music. (That's not entirely true, but it's close enough.) Sturm Und Drang hail from Finland and were inspired to start a band after seeing a Judas Priest concert. Their harder songs show their musical chops, but "Heaven (Is Not Here)", the closing track off Rock n' Roll Children (which I intend to review soon) lets the boys really shine. One of these days, I'm going to see them live, and my lighter will be at the ready for this song. Sturm Und Drang's MySpace has samples from both their albums so far.


02) Poe - Hello (Full Band Version)


If you follow American Idol, you may know Poe most recently as the girl who does that song that appears in that one Ford commercial all the time. I know her as a magnificent singer and songwriter, as well as the sister of House of Leaves author Mark Z. Danielewski. This song is a remake, originally appearing on her 1995 album of the same name. As far as I can tell, it's a MySpace exclusive; Poe has some tricky licensing problems going on with everything she recorded on Atlantic. I could go on for ages about her, and at some point I will, but at this point I'll just say that the remake turns what was a good song into a great song. You can check it out on Poe's MySpace, along with nearly everything she's ever released.


01) Orleans - Still the One


Ah, Orleans. This song may as well be my perpetual number one pick for this feature. I've been a fan of this song for nigh on 15 years now, ever since it appeared on my parents' wedding tape that my dad played incessantly on long car rides. (Not that I'm complaining, mind.) For a song like this, I don't think I need to explain why it's a classic. The vocal harmonies, two guitar solos, and a cappella breakdown are what do it for me, but your mileage may vary. Orleans are still having fun today; you can listen to all their hits on MySpace Music (including the one that inspired the title of this blog) and keep up with everything the band is doing now on their official website.


That's all for January. I'll see you in February with more of the same, only hopefully I'll be posting more frequently. Until next time, keep your eyes on the skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment